According to data from Identity Theft Resource Center, there have been 519 data breaches so far in 2015, resulting in the unlawful exposure of 139,993,068 personal identities.
Let’s run through some of the recent violations that you may not have heard about in the news.
Companies Breached and Individuals Harmed
Company | State | Industry | Records Exposed
- Empi, Inc. | MN | Healthcare | 160,000
- Pediatric Group | IL | Healthcare | 10,000
- Endocrinology Associates, Inc. | OH | Healthcare | 1,400
- Dept. of Human Services | CO | Government | 3,044
- Akron Children’s Hospital | OH | Healthcare | 7,664
- Web.com | FL | eCommerce | 93,000
- Auto Zone | TN | Retail | 49,967
- Walgreen’s | IL | Retail | 8,345
- Baylor College of Medicine | TX | Healthcare | 1,004
- T. J. Samson Community Hospital | KY | Healthcare | 2,060
- South Dakota School of Mines | SD | Education | 350
Identity theft is everywhere. If you use a credit card online or at the store, you’re vulnerable. Your medical records are vulnerable. Your tax records are vulnerable. Your mailbox is vulnerable, and so on. We will be back next month with more to report, as this crime wave has no current end in sight.